Monday, June 7, 2010
Weekend in the ER
No i was not a patient in the ER. I am fine and so is the family..
I was working in the ER doing my capstone for school. I am nearing the
end of this journey. I am down to 9 weeks left. My days consists of tests
and more tests to see how prepared we are to take the NCLEX . So
far so good with my scores but i am still scared out of my mind as
rumor has it the test got harder this year. This last weekend i spent
4 days at Alta View ER working as a RN. Can i tell you i was so nervous!!
i prayed that i would seem competent, and have some sort of idea in
what i was doing. You would think with my years of working in the ER
as an EMT i would be fine, but the RN aspect is so different. The first
day i was there we had a trauma, needless to say i can not give details
due to privacy laws, but i can tell you it got me realizing why I LOVE
the ER. To think on my feet and know that this patients life is in my
hands and the many other nurses, EMT's and MD's there reminded me
why i love the ER so much. I got the desire to hit the books harder and
to be at the best of my skills and knowledge. Now i know that there is
lots i do not know, but i was given many compliments on how i was
in the trauma and the nurses were impressed i could still think on my
feet and remember a lot of what i had learned in past experience and my amazing critical care class. My dream job would be to remain in the
ER. i will admit i was a little sketchy on if i wanted to remain in the
ER when i am done with school. But the feelings i felt when i left my
shifts this weekend was something i have missed. I love being there to
help people when they are in some of the lows in their life. I have a goal
to make a patient smile even just for a minute when i am in the room.
I know people come in the ER with major health problems and minor.
No matter what they are there for i know they are coming trusting us
with their lives or their loved ones lives. There is no room for judgement
from me. I am there to help them and hope the situation will improve.
Needless to say i was not out enjoying the sunshine this weekend, i got
some emotional sunshine. Here is to hoping i can continue after i
graduate in the ER and work where i know i have a great love for
what i do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am so proud of you Sis. You are so close to being finished :D. Love ya lots!
ReplyDeletePhew! I'm so grateful for people like you who can handle those situations! I could never do it!
ReplyDeleteYou are going to make an amazing nurse!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete